Featuring: The Way-Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus
By: Adam Hamilton, The UM Church of the Resurrection







Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Gentle Healer

Luke 4:38-40
38After leaving the synagogue he entered Simon’s house. Now Simon’s mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked him about her.39Then he stood over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. Immediately she got up and began to serve them.40As the sun was setting, all those who had any who were sick with various kinds of diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on each of them and cured them.

   IN THE COMPANION BOOK TO this devotional, I describe Simon’s house in Capernaum, which appears to have been converted to a church during the early centuries of the Christian faith. In the DVD, I take viewers to see the ruins of this home and the church that was later built over it. This home was likely the house where Jesus stayed when he was in Capernaum.
 
   Upon entering the house following his first Sabbath service in Capernaum, Jesus found Simon’s mother suffering from a high fever. Have you suffered from a high fever? I recently had my appendix removed because it was on the verge of rupturing. The night, before finally going to the doctor, I lay in bed, shaking and suffering with a high fever. The fever continued after surgery, keeping me in the hospital for several days. Though my illness was relatively minor compared to many, by the third night I was more than ready to be done with it and to sleep in my own bed.
 
   That day in Capernaum, as Jesus stood over Simon’s mother-in-law, he told the fever to leave, and with his words the infection in her body was destroyed. Her fever dissipated, and she got up and began to care for Jesus and the guests. I love this: Jesus spoke and the bacteria were banished— the virus vanished.
 
   That night, people from around the countryside brought their sick to Simon’s house, and Jesus touched each of them and healed them. He stayed up all night long healing them. This episode tells us, among other things, that Jesus was filled with compassion for the sick.
 
   Today, Jesus’ primary instrument of healing is still through human touch, by doctors and nurses and physical therapists. Before going in for surgery on my appendix, I asked the surgeon if I could pray for him. I took his hand, thanked him for his compassion and care for the sick, and then prayed, “Lord, thank you for Dr. McCrosky. I pray that you would use him to bring healing to my body. Bless him and help him as he seeks to help me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.” In the end he removed my appendix, treated my infection, and three days later I was home and feeling great. God used him as an agent of healing.
 
   Those in the medical professions— doctors, nurses, hospital technicians, and therapists— all follow in the footsteps of Jesus through the work that they do.
 
   The stories of Christ’s healing ministry point to his compassion for the sick. When you are sick, know that he is always near. And pray for your doctors and nurses, because they are the instruments he uses most often to bring healing to our bodies.
 
Lord, grant me compassion for others when they are sick. Thank you for doctors and nurses and for all who work in the medical professions. Bless them in the work that they do. Amen.

Adam Hamilton, The Way-40 Days of Reflection

 

No comments:

Post a Comment