Featuring: The Way-Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus
By: Adam Hamilton, The UM Church of the Resurrection







Saturday, March 16, 2013

Saturday, March 16, 2013

WHEN HE NOTICED THE STRONG WIND

Matthew 14: 28-33   
Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
 
   HE IS EIGHTY-THREE YEARS OLD, this man I care about a great deal. He was diagnosed with cancer six months ago. The oncologist gave him little hope. His mind is sharp and his heart is strong. He lives on his own and still makes six-hour car trips to visit his children and grandchildren. He makes it to the soccer, volleyball, and basketball games of his four grand nieces and nephews. He loves life. But he lives with this news that he has cancer that can’t be treated.
 
   We prayed together last night. As we finished, he looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, “I wake up each day determined to fight this. It is hard, but I try not to think about the cancer. I keep looking to the Lord, trusting him.”
 
   Peter’s attempt to walk on the water with Jesus is a favorite story of so many people who read Matthew’s gospel. Peter, as he often did, showed a remarkable burst of initial faith and courage: “Jesus, if it really is you, command me to come to you on the water” (Matthew 14: 28 NRSV). But as soon as the strong winds came, he took his eyes off of Jesus, became frightened, and started to sink. He cried out, “Lord, save me!” Jesus reached out his hand, caught Peter, and helped him into the boat. Then Jesus climbed into the boat with him.
 
   For nearly 2,000 years, Christians have seen in this story the call to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus when passing through storms at sea. If we trust him and focus on him rather than on the waves, we find the ability to walk “even through the valley of the shadow of death” (Psalm 23: 4 NIV). That’s what my dear friend taught me once more last night, as he held my hand and told me his strategy for living with terminal cancer.
 
   When you find yourself walking in the darkness through the wind and waves, what’s your strategy?

 Jesus, help me when I wake each day to place my hand in your hand and keep my eyes focused, not on my circumstances, but on you. Amen.

Adam Hamilton, The Way: 40 Days of Reflection: Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment