Featuring: The Way-Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus
By: Adam Hamilton, The UM Church of the Resurrection







Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday, April 14

Three Times

John 21: 1-19 http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=232936286
 
Join us in worship today as we Hear the story of Jesus’ third appearance to his disciples after his death. Listen as the story focuses on the one who denied Jesus three times, as Jesus asks the question three times, “Do you love me?” And as Jesus gives specific instruction, three times, on what we are to do, how we are to live, as followers of Christ, as an Easter people...
 
What do we do when our world falls apart, when we lose a loved one, a relationship, a job? When the disciples' world fell apart they were not sure what to do next. Jesus had appeared to them, they knew the Resurrected Christ had changed forever the world. Yet, they struggled with what to do next.
 
It seems they returned to what they knew best...at least a few of them, they went fishing. It is on the shore of the Sea of Galilee that Jesus makes things perfectly clear: "If you love me, feed my lambs. If you love me, tend my sheep. If you love me, feed my sheep."

1 comment:

  1. "7That disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on some clothes, for he was naked, and jumped into the sea."

    As many times as I've read, heard, and reflected on this passage, today what stands out to me is that someone else, "the disciple whom Jesus loved", pointed out the presence of the Lord to Simon Peter. When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, Simon Peter immediately sought to get closer to the Lord as quickly as possible.

    Like Simon Peter, I need a disciple to show me where the Lord is in this world as I just can't see Him for myself and I do so miss Him.

    ReplyDelete