Featuring: The Way-Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus
By: Adam Hamilton, The UM Church of the Resurrection







Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thursday, April 4, 2013

THE GREAT COMMISSION

Matthew 28:18-20

18And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,20and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

   Anglican scholar, pastor, and writer R. T. France, in commentary on the Gospel of Matthew, notes that its final verses, often called the Great Commission, are the climax and fulfillment of the entire Gospel.
 
   At the beginning of the Gospel Jesus is referred to as "Immanuel," God with us; at the end of the Gospel Jesus promises to be with us always, to the end of the age. At Jesus' birth the wise men, Gentiles, come to pay homage; after his resurrection Jesus sends his disciples into all the nations. During Jesus' temptation the devil offers him the kingdoms of the world--not just their wealth, but by implication their power; at the end he declares that all authority has been given to him on earth and in heaven (Matthew 28:18). At the beginning of his ministry he invites twelve disciples to follow him; now he sends them out to the whole world to invite others to follow him. Throughout the Gospel Jesus has taught his followers about the kingdom, particularly in the Sermon on the Mount; now they must teach others to obey everything he has told them.
 
   Jesus' Great Commission calls all who follow Jesus to invite others to do the same. But if we are honest, most of us are a little nervous about talking to others about Jesus. We love the quote, often attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, that we should preach the gospel at all times and when necessary  use words. We're happy to show the gospel to others, but often we pray that we won't have to "use words."
 
   Yet the Kingdom of God on earth expands as people who are Christ followers--people like you and me--share their story with others.
 
   I became a Christ follower at age fourteen because a man named Harold Thorson was going door-to-door inviting people to church. I became a Christ follower, because a girl named LaVon invited me to youth group and Sunday School. I became a Christ follower, because a pastor and a youth pastor told me what Jesus had taught his disciples and invited me to obey. All these people showed me the gospel, and they knew they also had to use words.
 
   There are some people in your life who are not yet Christ followers. Some would consider the Christian faith if you were to tell them what your faith in Jesus means to you. Make a list of people God may be calling you to share your faith with. Pray for them. Invited them to worship with you. Over a cup of coffee, tell them the story of how you came to faith, or the difference Christ has made in your daily life.
 
   Last week a woman came to me after worship, saying it was her first Sunday at our church. She had felt lost for some time. Some good friends had loved her, and listened to her, and gently shared with her the difference Christ had made in their lives. The friends had described how they had found him at our church. And they had encouraged her, not just once but multiple times, to visit the church.
 
   The woman looked at me and said, "Today I feel that I've finally found what I've been looking for. I'm so grateful to my friends who encouraged me to visit the church!" Her friends were fulfilling the Great Commission, and in the process they were being used by God to change his woman's life.
 
   Who are the people God wants you to reach out to in his name?

Lord, I wish to be your disciple. Help me to follow you faithfully. Use me, I pray, to share with my friend your story, and to invite and encourage him/her to join me as I follow you. Amen.

Adam Hamilton, The Way:40 Days of Reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment